There is something to be said about the abundance of potential great motorcycle rides throughout the United States. Open roads filled with fresh air, beautiful scenery and that coveted peace that only a great motorcycle ride can offer. These roads and routes can be found throughout the states, so no matter where you live you should be able to find a road near you that ceases to amaze. Although this article won’t be able to cover all of the amazing roads, here are just some of the roads you should visit if you are an avid motorcycle touring rider.
Great Motorcycle Rides
- San Juan Mountain Skyway- This 225 mile loop almost encompasses the San Juan National Forest in southwest Colorado. This loop includes a 12 mile section that is know as the million dollar highway for its amazing views of the Rocky Mountains. There are many western themed towns along the way providing you with food and your bike with gas and any other amenities. The only problems are the elevations and the weather. High elevations make it harder on bikes and people not adjusted to higher elevations. So make sure your bike is tuned correctly especially if it is carbonated and make sure to get plenty of rest. Also snow stays up their longer so don’t be surprised if you can’t go from October through April depending on the weather.
- The Tail of the Dragon- While only 11 miles long this road is known to both bikers and car enthusiasts as one of the most difficult roads in America. On the border of Tennessee and North Carolina this road weaves through the Appalachian Mountains with 318 turns, many of them being hairpins and blind corners. For those of you wanting to cruise, this is not the road for you. Although you may be focused soley on the road, these 11 miles offer great views of the lush forest as well. This road is a big tourist destination so while the road quality is good and amenities are good, the road may be crowded with other riding or driving enthusiasts.
- Natchez Trace Parkway- For those who like long straight roads, this is the road for you as it offers a 430 mile highway from Leipers Fork, TN to Natchez, MS. The road has a constant view of southern forests and rolling hills. Low speed limits and low traffic will allow you to take your time and cruise worry free.
- Beartooth Highway- This road in southern Montana offers the perfect road for those who like going up and down with plenty of hairpin turns mixed in. This road certainly requires some caution as it is not the most safe road and doesn’t contain any gas station or restaurants.. Obviously the view is great being so close to Yellowstone National Park with this road including views of the dense forests and snow capped mountains of the Rocky Mountains. This road is the perfect mix of great views and adrenaline pumping turns. Being in Montana altitude is high and winter is harsh, so adjust accordingly.
- Pacific Coast Highway- Last but not least is the iconic Highway along the coast of California. This takes you along the Pacific Ocean from Monterey, CA to Morro Bay, CA. The views of the oceans are breathless and if you like ocean views this is the road to take. Being such a great view the road can get some traffic although there are many places to stop to get a rest and let the traffic clear.
Before taking any motorcycle ride it is alsways reccomended that you inspect your bike and make sure it is performing in top condition. Map out the course you will be riding so that you will know where to refuel and get any help along the way should you need any. For new and old motorcyclists it is advised that you feel 100% confident drving the route you will be taking with all of the weather and road conditions in mind. This will also help to insure that you have a safe, relaxing incredible ride!